The Third Floor of Espina Rosa is a floor shrouded in mystery. Only ever do Sofist and the Elite Patrol go there and any word of what is there or why they might be down there stays there. A few things can be inferred to be sure: the floor reputedly holds the worst of the Runed Fortress’ inmates and the Patrol must be bringing food to the prisoners in some fashion. Terrible criminals or not… they must all need to eat once in a while… Should they not? But why would they need an entire patrol consisting of the very best of Espina Rosa in order to do a simple round?
This week, you might have some answers. You were challenged to find some of the remaining clues and references hidden in the Espina Rosa quests and you smashed the challenge, or almost, before the thread had even embarked upon its second page. Kamillia is indeed a clue towards part of Sofist’s story and the Head Chef of Espina Rosa is partly a reference to the French Novelist by the same name – although the reference extends to a physical element within the quests that was not picked up on – and as promised, you shall get a clue towards the puzzle in this week’s quest.
You should know that the Third Level is rather different from the other floors. For one, it is on an entirely different scale, far vaster, long and twisting corridors of true extent largely unknown. It is also very much a maze: the same paths that twist, turn, turn again, back onto themselves, split or rejoin, all in a unlit or mislit twilight that makes them each corner look all the more similar to the last one. The paths are so befuddling that even retracing your steps may lead you to an entirely different place that you set out from… as if the paths themselves shifted of their very own will.
You may very well have to work together to solve this one. Penning your own maps and finds together may help as well.
You may yet learn more about the strangeness that permeates all things on the Third Floor, however that will be for later. If you start to hear voices in your head, do not listen to them as that would be a sure way to tell that you are falling into madness as others, in the depths, have before.
A free single-player arcade-survival game coming soon
The creative minds behind the PvP MMO EpicDuel have teased about a "big, exciting announcement" for the past few weeks. But today is a very special day, because that well-kept secret is finally being revealed…
Titan, Nightwraith, Charfade and Rabblefroth have been secretly developing a new mobile game entitled “BioBeasts” while also working on EpicDuel (woah, they must drink A LOT of coffee!). Today we’re excited to showcase the progress the EpicDuel team has made so far!
BioBeasts will be a free, single-player arcade-survival game for mobile devices (Android and iOS) where you control a mutating beast fighting to escape from a robot-controlled laboratory. You will control a variety of beasts as they try to escape from a lab run by the sadistic Alydriah. Defend yourself against a horde of robot guards, laboratory defenses, and hulking bosses as you claw, bite, blast, and bash your way to freedom! Unlock new beasts with special powers and obtain potent mutations to experiment with as the game progresses.
The team is already well into development and have a number of screenshots posted on their shiny new website: BioBeasts.Artix.com! Check it out and peruse the BioBeasts FAQ.
Be sure to post your questions and suggestions on the new site! The team will respond to your questions in a post on Friday (April 17). You can also follow all the exciting new announcements for BioBeasts on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
Hey there! I've been getting questions about what I've been working on so I wanted to take a minute to run through a few of the things.
- Adjusting Dread Pirate to work with the new Pirate skills. (The new skill set and some items are live in Book 1 Osprey Cove for the base Pirate if you missed DA testing or are an NDA). I'm aiming to have this done for Friday, but as with everything there might be a delay till next week if I get overwhelmed with release stuff.
- Adding in the shops for the tooth fragment from Frostval last year. This should be this week as I'm almost done with the changes to the area where it's going in. There's going to be 2. One will be a house item shop for DA's that will allow them to replay the challenge mode fight minus the tooth drop. The OTHER, since people mentioned that maybe they didn't want a house item, will be a necklace shop for those that beat the fight but don't really want the house item. This will be for all players (NDA items) so if you held onto your tooth shard you'll be able to access those. To open the shop of your choice you will LOSE your tooth fragment so make SURE you choose which you want before you open it. If you missed getting a tooth fragment, or got rid of your tooth fragment, you'll be able to pick up one this Frostval when everything comes back for replays.
- Working on redoing MP Potion training. (This won't be this week but as soon as I can get it done) I know a bunch of you mentioned that there were issues with this so I'm trying to get through all the fixes and changes to it as soon as possible. It'll make the WIS changes from 14.0 a bit easier to deal with as well.
- Guardian class revamp (Not this week) Yes, I am working on this. There are some art issues that need to be sorted through though. I'm getting the skills finished up so that when the art stuff is fixed we can do combined DA and Guardian verified testing. There's no ETA on this I'm just letting you know.
- AoT is still being worked on. Tomix will get the art and animations done when he's able to and then I can code it. We don't know when it'll be finished because he has to stop working on it to work on the main release every week. It is coming though and he's trying his hardest, but you'll need to be patient a bit longer. (Because I know people are going to ask and wanted to nip this one before it happened)
There are a few other things I'm working on to get into the game. This includes updates to the Bank interface and some other stuff for 14.1 as well as some other side projects and updates for things like redoing Cysero's Superstore to make the shops and such easier to navigate and add new items like multiple levels of the plushie pets. I'm working on a lot and most of it is stuff that won't be in for a while but I figured since I am working on it you all should have some stuff to look forward to.
I also have a note from someone.
For those who have been impatient to the resumption of the Espina Rosa chain I am happily able to announce that it is resuming this week!
Given that is the case, I would suggest to replay through the quests to refresh yourselves with the storyline in the meantime. To aid you in your endeavours and to make things a bit more interesting I would propose a little treasure hunt, or rather clue hunt, to bide time.
As some of you have well noticed, a certain miscellany of popular references or clues towards the deeper backstory of things dot the quests so far. Not a great few, but certainly a select few. At least one of you caught on, for example, to the clue that when Zadd mutters in InspecZion about ‘’this one’’ working and ‘’that one’’ not, he is referring to his mixed success in binding Elementals to his will. A number of you have also observed the irony produced by the Hero considering Sam’s grandma’s wizard a charlatan. There are about four references or clues left unmentioned, all tied in some manners to some of the characters unique to Espina Rosa. Two of them are tied to Dumplings and are so entirely obscure I would never frankly expect you to find them. One is so innocuous that I could never expect you to divine part of his backstory from it and I could only expect a rabid Beano fan to even notice the second. If such a fan does notice it.... well... you have earned yourself a good scone.
However, you have a chance at the clues and references concerning Sofist and Gaston. One is a clue concerning the character’s backstory, the other is a reference wordly and visibly tied to the character. If you are able to find both of these by Thursday then you will win your own clue to solving the puzzle in Friday’s quest.
That challenge aside, I would like to say it has been most pleasant reading all of your thoughts and theories concerning the story and ways forward. You have entertained some very interesting speculations. A few of you have even had thoroughly impressive thoughts and theories and I would single out Ithraen, Myra, Starflame and Edorath for the most interesting ones. I dare say some of you may have come quite close to the truth. Although you shall not know which, you certainly do deserve a reward.
A wooden tray, simple yet elegant, appears before you.
While you and Raven have been off searching for Thursday, Magus Neron has been studying the blood samples you collected on the vampire and werewolf patrols and trying to learn more about the magic that causes these viral curses to infect humans and spread throughout their bodies. Even using the most powerful lenses and equipment available to the Rose there's only so much he can see, though.... If only there was something that could shrink you down to the right size!
Orion needs your help! Someone has Eggnapped one of the eggs he has been charged with protecting! You'll need to scramble to get it back before Orion gets in trouble! Hopefully you don't crack under the pressure!
If you haven't yet, make sure you check out the rest of the town! There's some pretty cool stuff to do there!
Hey there! I thought I'd take today and answer some of the questions that I've been getting.
The "Serenity before the storm" war went rare?
- No, it didn't. It's now located in Book 3, at the Castle Valtrith location in Doomwood. The Defender Medal drops, as well as the older Doom Weapon "shortcut" drops and merge shop were removed. The "unlucky war challenge" shop is also removed.
Did the newest Destiny and Doom weapon upgrades go rare?
- Nope! They can still be accessed from the above war. The drops to make them now drop in ALL of the avaiable quests that aren't cutscenes. (This means they don't drop in the "Serenity Gone" quest OR "The Baron Awaits" quest.) We're working on expanding that area into a full "Story of the Baron" hub but for now only the war replay has been added.
Is Mootopolis, the new "April Fools" town in book 3, staying or leaving?
- It is a permanent addition to the game! We'll slowly be adding things there over time to fill it up and make it feel like a complete town. We just didn't have time to do everything we wanted to in time for April 1st.
The new quest to earn the new armor is really hard....can you make it easier?
- No, sorry. It's hard for a reason. I made it beatable without using anything but normal equips but, as with almost everything I make, there are ways to make it easier. Certain weapons have damage triggers on certain monster types increasing the damage you do, weapons that inflict Damage over Time effects make it easier, Pets make it easier, training up your HP Potions make it easier, etc. There are all sorts of things to make it easier, especially stuff you can get just by playing the game and exploring around all the different places!
- Now I do listen and I've gotten plenty of people asking to just be allowed to buy the armor again like at the start. After a few other staff members also thought that would be a good idea I added buttons into every part of the section called, "I can't do it...". (They are located just above the "back" buttons) After you click this a couple of screens of dialog will play and then you'll have access to the DC shop. I didn't do this originally because I wanted it to feel like you were really earning the armor, but in this case plenty of people wanted the option so I provided it. As a note, this does not stop you from trying the part you were stuck on later. The game still saves your progress to a certain spot in the progression to earn the armor so you can come back at any time and continue from there.
Can Non-DA's use the merge armor if they complete the quest?
- No, sorry. We did the same thing that was done for the Evolved ChickenCow armor. DA's can complete a bunch of stuff and buy it for gold. Non-DA's will need to purchase it for DC's if they wish to use it. HOWEVER! If an NDA player DOES beat the quest and turns in the CCL and ECCL armors they DO get access to a Weapon, Helm, and Cape set. You WILL LOSE your CCL and ECCL armors doing this so MAKE SURE you want to before you start the chain! Fair warning! There are also popups added to the town that make this clear as well.
Why do I need both ChickenCow lord (CCL) AND Evolved Chickencow Lord (ECCL) for Ascended ChickenCow? Can I even have both at the same time?
- You need both because I decided to do something different. I could have done a "Bring me this random item and merge it with ECCL!" but I didn't because I wanted it to feel like you were trading both older armors in to get something better, greater, and more powerful. (Which you are, Ascended Chickencow is CRAZY powerful) I do try a few new things every once in a while, like how I made it so you can just merge to get the DeathKnight items you want at a level tier instead of merging from low to high. Until I do stuff like that I won't know if you all like that or not. Each time I do something new I get plenty of feedback and know if I should do it again in the future or stick to the older way of doing things. Some new things you all like, some you don't.
- As for how to get both, you can get a drop version of the CCL armor, merge it into the ECCL armor, then get another CCL armor as a drop. (If you need to know which quests can drop the CCL armor you can check in this handy link! Click me!) You can also buy both CCL and ECCL for DC's and use those instead. It doesn't matter what versions you use, you just need 1 ChickenCow Lord armor and 1 Evolved ChickenCow armor.
Can we finally save new armors?
- No. We're still waiting on one of the database managers to have the time to help us out with that. We're trying to get it done as quickly as possible though!